Kyle Shack is currently a Social Studies teacher at Loy Norrix High School in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and an adjunct faculty member for the MAET Program at Michigan State University. Kyle received both his bachelor’s degree in History and master’s degree in Educational Technology (MAET) from Michigan State University. He is dedicated to providing his students with an authentic and collaborative educational experience. Kyle uses his passion for all things technology to create an open classroom for his students.
Michigan State University – August 2012
Master of Arts in Educational Technology- Overseas Cohort
Michigan State University – May 2011
Bachelor of Arts
Major: History Minor: English
State of Michigan Secondary – Professional
- Endorsements: History (CC); Social Studies (RX); English (BA)
Experience in Education
Loy Norrix High School Kalamazoo, MI
Social Studies Instructor August 2019 – Present
- Development of Government, Economics, and World History curriculum
- Implementation of Government, Economics, and World History curriculum
Michigan State University East Lansing, MI
MAET Graduate Program, Adjunct Faculty Member May 2017 – Present
- Provide online instruction to K-12 teachers and administrators as part of their graduate program in educational technology.
- Teaches coursework examining the relationship between technology, teaching and learning.
- CEP 810 – Teaching for Understanding with Technology
- CEP 811 – Adapting Innovative Technologies in Education
- CEP 812 – Applying Educational Technology to Issues of Practice
- CEP 815 – Technology & Leadership
Allegan Alternative High School Allegan, MI
Social Studies Instructor & Digital Learning Coach August 2013 – August 2019
- Creation, development and implementation of Social Studies curriculum
- Developing, organizing and implementing both building and district wide technology training and support
- Member of the Secondary Classroom Instruction Committee
- Systems Operator, responsible for technical support in building
- SOAR Team sponsoring teacher (PBIS student committee)
- Basketball Coach Fall 2013 – Present
Michigan State University East Lansing, MI
MSU-WIPRO STEM & Leadership Teaching Fellowship Program, Instructor May 2014 – May 2017
- Creation and delivery of material related to the instruction of STEM curriculum in an urban context
- Member of instructional team, facilitating a cohort of 50 fellows from Chicago Public Schools
Urban Prep Academy Chicago, IL
World History Instructor August 2012 – June 2013
- Creation, development and implementation of World History curriculum for low-income, high-need student population.
- Strong emphasis on reading comprehension skills in the context of World History.
- Member of Technology Committee
- Member of Curriculum Planning Committee
King College Prep High School Chicago, IL
World History Teaching Intern August 2011 – June 2012
- Co-planned and co-taught World History and Global Issues lessons
- Planned, prepared and implemented semester, unit and daily Social Studies and English lessons.
Center for Teaching and Technology – MSU College of Education East Lansing, MI
Technical Intern in Education June 2009 – August 2011
- Provided technical support to all teacher, professors and students in the college of education.
- Led presentations and workshops focused on the application of technology in the field of education.
- Designed, filmed and edited instructional videos.
- Horton A., Henriksen D., Mishra P., Seals C., Shack K., Marcotte C. (2019), Creativity-and-MSUrbanSTEM-2018 In: Mullen C. (eds) Creativity Under Duress in Education? Creativity Theory and Action in Education, vol 3. Springer DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-90272-2_16
- Mishra, P., Graves-Wolf, L., Gunnings-Moton, S., Seals, C., Mehta, R., Berzina, I., Mehta, S., Horton, A., Shack, K., Marcotte, C., Cosby, M. & Pawlicki, D. (2016). Reinventing TPACK, STEM teaching and leadership in an urban context. In Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2016 (pp. 2026-2030). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Mishra, P., Wolf, L., Gunnings Moton, S., Marcotte, C., Shack, K., Horton, A., Seals, C., Lishinski, A. & Pawlicki, D. (2015). Enhancing Urban Teachers STEM and Leadership Capacities: A preliminary report on a unique private-public-public partnership. In Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2015 (pp. 987-992). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- “Learning Upgrade“, Tech & Learning Magazine, July Issue, 2014
- “Goalbook“, Tech & Learning Magazine, June Issue, 2014
- Judge, Tech & Learning Magazine’s 2013 Awards of Excellence Contest
Professional Development/Conference Presentations
- Presenter, Growth Through Community Partnerships – April 2019
- Presenter, Mindfulness in the Classroom, Michigan Alternative Education Organization – April 2018
- Presenter, Mindfulness in the Classroom, Michigan State University College of Education Technology Conference – October 2017
- Presenter, Year Two of Mind, Body, Spirit Initiative, Michigan Alternative Education Organization – April 2017
- Presenter, Civics 101: How to Get Involved, Women Rising Up – April 2017
- Presenter, Grading Competency over Compliance, APS EdTech Conference – April 2017
- Attendee, MACUL Conference – March 2017
- Facilitator/Panel Member, MSU College of Education Technology Conference – November 2016
- Facilitator/Participant, PlaydateMI – September 2016
- Presenter, Mind, Body, Spirit Initiative, Michigan Alternative Education Organization – April 2016
- Presenter, Mishra, P., Wolf, L.G., Gunning-Moton, S., Seals, C., Berzina-Pitcher, I., Mehta, R., Mehta, S., Horton, A., Cosby, M., Shack, K., & Marcotte, C. (2016, March). Reinventing TPACK, STEM Teaching and Leadership in an Urban Context. Symposium conducted at Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) Annual conference, Savannah, GA.
- Presenter, Mishra, P., Seals, C., Beymer, P., Mehta, R., Cosby, M., & Shack, K. (2016, March). Creative Uses of Mobile devices in the STEM classroom. Presented at MACUL Annual Meeting, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Presenter – Webinar, MSUrbanSTEM, Universidad del Valle de Guatemala Educational Congress – June 2015
- Presenter, Mishra, P., Wolf, L., Gunnings-Moton, S., Marcotte, C., Shack, K., Horton, A., Seals, C., Lishinski, A., Pawlicki, D. (2015, March). Enhancing Urban Teachers STEM and Leadership capacities: a preliminary report on a unique private-public-public partnership. Symposium conducted at Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) 2015, Las Vegas, NV.
- Attendee, MACUL Conference – March 2015
- Facilitator, APS Tech Camp – June 2014
- Attendee, MACUL Mobile Learning Conference – April 2014
- Attendee, MACUL Conference – March 2014
- Attendee, EdCamp OAISD – March 2014
- Presenter, Tech & Learning’s Tech Forum Chicago, “Creativity, Collaboration and the Common Core” – May 2013
- Presenter, “Use of QR Codes in the Classroom”, Urban Prep Academy PD – August 2012
- Attendee, EdCamp Chicago – October 2012
- Presenter, RELATe Conference (Rouen Educational Leadership and Teaching) – Summer 2011
- Presenter, Michigan State University College of Education Technology Conference – 2010 & 2011
- Installation of audio/visual hardware
- Filming and editing instructional and informational videos
- Creation and maintenance of blogs and websites
- Computer and classroom equipment troubleshooting
- Instruction and implementation of mobile devices in classroom setting
- Experience with SMART technologies
- Instruction and maintenance of Learning Management Systems
Membership and Experience
- Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education
- Allegan Education Association
- Allegan Education Association Scholarship Committee 2014 – Present
- MACUL (Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning)
- Phi Alpha Theta Honors Society at Michigan State University